Whitney Plantation is the only former plantation site in Louisiana with an exclusive focus on slavery. Generations of Africans and their descendants were enslaved here to establish and maintain indigo, rice, and sugar crops. Visitors learn about this history through tours, exhibits, memorials, and artwork.
Advanced ticket purchases highly recommended, as these tours sell out quickly!
- Adult Ages 19+
- Youth Ages 7-18
- Child Free for Age 6 and Younger (Ticket Required)
Information about the Tour
Guided Tours of the Whitney Plantation are offered on all days the museum is open. These tours are offered at three times: 10:45am, 12:45pm and 2:45pm. Guided Tours are available on a first-come, first served-basis, and advanced purchase is highly recommended, as they do sell out. Guided Tours have a maximum capacity of 20 tickets, and we cannot accommodate any more than this number. Day-of tickets cannot be transferred to another time or refunded.
On a Guided Tour, visitors will be led through the grounds of the museum by a member of our team of Historic Interpreters. Each Interpreter is extremely well-knowledgeable about the history of our site as well as the history of slavery in Louisiana as a whole. They each come from a variety of backgrounds, but rest-assured that whoever is leading your tour, you will be in excellent hands.
While the tour does bring visitors to a large portion of the grounds, certain locations are not included in the Guided Tour. These are primarily three memorials on the property. If visitors arrive prior to their tour, they may be able to explore the memorials not covered on the tour, or after the tour has been concluded if there is still time before the museum closes.
- Offered at 10:45am, 12:45pm and 2:45pm when the museum is open to the public.
- Available on a first-come, first served-basis. Advanced purchase is highly recommended, as they do sell out.
- A 20 ticket maximum capacity, no exceptions.
- Day-of tickets cannot be transferred to another time or refunded.
- For a list of holiday closures, please visit www.whitneyplantation.org
- We are located on the Mississippi River at 5099 Highway 18, Edgard, LA 70049